Healthy Spinach recipe

Everyone knows that spinach is good for you.  Popeye says so.  And ain't that the truth?



But in all seriousness.  Spinach is loaded with iron which plays a central role in the function of red blood cells which help in transporting oxygen around the body.  For my mum, who has embarked on chemotherapy and may need blood transfusions in the foreseeable future, iron is a good source of energy for her right now.  Spinach is also an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health and it is difficult to find vegetables richer in vitamin K than spinach. 

I'll be honest, I'm not a great lover of spinach though.  That's why, when I found this great way of cooking spinach, I wanted to share it as much as possible.  

As ever, my recipes are extremely simple and take no more than 10 mins to cook.  As a carer for a cancer patient, working full time and wanting to spend as much quality time with my mum as possible, I have very little patience for long winded recipes these days.

I simply heated up a tablespoon of olive oil in a wok and threw a garlic clove and slices of ginger in.  If you love garlic, then put more in, it really compliments the spinach flavour.  

Once the garlic and ginger have subtly browned, then throw in the spinach.  Put about 4 tablespoons of water in and then cover the wok with a lid.  This will allow the spinach to steam, gently wilt and create a light sauce. 

You will know when the spinach is cooked as it will have reduced in size by about half!  Serve on a dish and then sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.  My mum and I are extremely practical people, therefore, though the pumpkin seeds may look like decoration, there is a very good purpose.  Pumpkin seeds contain 440 calories per 100mg, essential calorie intake for a handful of nuts.  They really pack a punch, much like Popeye.  Not only that, pumpkin seeds contain a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein and zinc.


Healthy Spinach recipe with pumpkin seeds

Let me know what you think of this recipe.


M x

Comments

Popular Posts