Chemotherapy Diary - Cycle #4: Day 3

Day 3 of every chemotherapy cycle always brings both a sense of relief as we get to the last day of having to take the medication to be administered for each cycle but also trepidation as it was at this point in my mum's first cycle of chemotherapy that she started to show symptoms of being sepsis. That experience though, has only made us stronger and more aware of the side effects that we need to be cautious of.  Day 3 sees my mum still being tired but as she said, with a little more energy than she had on the day before.  She seemed more alert and at least have the energy to ask me questions.  So I decided today that I would do things to cheer her up.  This included pruning the tree in the back garden which she has asked that I do for several months now and cooking a nice roast chicken for her dinner.  It was a lovely, warm day so she sat in the conservatory and watched as I tackled the tree. Neither she or I thought I would be able to do it as the tree is 8ft  versus me a petite 4ft 11 inches.  As she watched me, she said there were times that she wanted to jump out and help me but she knew that she did not have the energy and instead, she cheered me on from inside the house and watched, it was great entertainment for her!

A lot of the inspiration for my recipes comes from my mum.  So here is my deep, dark secret - my parents ran 2 Chinese takeaways but I don't know how to cook.  My parents spoiled their daughters, as a child, I never cooked and never did housework.  It is now, as I do all the cooking, that my mum stands by my side and teaches me to cook and shows me her recipes all of which are in her head and none have been written down.  I struggle with some of the simplest, basic things in cooking that she has always assumed I know such as how much water do you need to cook the perfect pot of rice???? Roasting a chicken is something that she taught me how to do but I like to ask her guidance to check with timings, carving and flavourings to add.  In this way, she still feels very much involved with the cooking and I really appreciate the advice.

Things always seem to slow down the inital days after chemotherapy but yet the time also seems to past very quickly too.  Too quick in fact.  They are restful and quiet days but we also really value and cherish the small things such as this beautiful sunset that we watched after having a nice dinner.  After spending countless days in hospital eating dry, tasteless food, we are grateful for the time at home that we get to spend with a beautiful view.  Cancer makes you appreciate the little things, see beauty before you and value time with those that are important to you.



When was the last time you sat in silence with no electronic device, alone and with no distraction?  If you're under the age of 16, have you EVER sat in silence with no electronic device, alone and with no distraction?  This does not include sleeping and is purely time to stop and reflect on the thoughts in your head.  Listen to what you are thinking and feeling and more importantly, see if you can clear your mind of thoughts altogether and just relax.  This is not meditation but purely, sitting in silence.  Give it a go!

Mx


I'm extremely excited to be able to say that I've been nominated and shortlisted for Carer blogger of the year within the Health Unlocked 2017 Health Blogger Awards.  I'd appreciate it if you could vote for my blog here.






Comments

Popular Posts