Christmas cards & Symptom cards. Oh my! CCGG2017 #9

Blogmas on the CancerCarerChats blog is a daily charitable Christmas gift guide with a twist - each post will feature an idea for a charitable act.  Christmas is a time for giving whether it be for someone you know or for a stranger.  Take the time at this time of the year to do a good deed, just one small act can help someone who is less fortunate than you are.  
As a reminder, my mum was diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer in March 2017 when I started this blog to raise important awareness of early detection of ovarian cancer and my life as a carer.  I care for my mum, trying to ease some of the load on her and walk by her side on this journey.  It’s just as hard to watch someone you love go through pain, than to experience it yourself.

*****************************************************************


In day #6's blogpost from the Charitable Christmas Gift Guide, I described how I sent Christmas cards to the elderly and the lonely and encouraged you to do so too in an effort to simply make someone happy.  Within the Christmas cards, aswell as a Christmas greeting and well wishes, I enclosed a note which describes the most prevalent symptoms of ovarian cancer in an effort to raise awareness of the disease in keeping with the mission of this blog.  I also wanted to highlight to the receiver what prompted me to send the Christmas card and perhaps as a gift back to me, they could be vigilant of the symptoms with either themselves or with family and friends.  Being a carer, I feel it’s my duty to highlight my mother’s (and other brave womens’) plight on this cancer journey and to ensure something positive is gained from this disease.  The symptoms were printed on a wallet size card as I wanted to symbolise the fact that these symptoms should be ‘carried’ with you everywhere, whether that be physical, within the heart or within the back of your mind.  This is something you could very easily do with your Christmas cards or presents.  Why not use your gifts as a carrier for your message? a vehicle to transport important symptomatic information of a medical condition that has perhaps affected you, a friend or a loved one?

Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
T – Toilet habit changes
E – Energy levels dropping
A – Abdominal pain/ swelling
L – Loss of appetite

Mx

Comments

Popular Posts