Christmas raffles. CCGG2017 #5

Blogmas on the CancerCarerChats blog is a daily charitable Christmas gift guide with a twist - each post will feature an idea for a charitable act.  Christmas is a time for giving whether it be for someone you know or for a stranger.  Take the time at this time of the year to do a good deed, just one small act can help someone who is less fortunate than you are.  
As a reminder, my mum was diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer in March 2017 when I started this blog to raise awareness of the importance of early detection of ovarian cancer and my life as a carer.  I care for my mum, trying to ease some of the load on her and walk by her side on this journey.  It’s just as hard to watch someone you love go through pain, than to experience it yourself.

*****************************************************************

I've accompanied my mum to every one of her chemotherapy appointments.  We are familiar with the unit, the protocols and the people we run into every 3 weeks.  Strangers you would normally pass on the street, different races, ages, medical history are now sat next to you, sharing your hopes and fears, understanding your struggles.  Walking into the treatment unit is like a different world, a bubble of emotions and struggles.  There is a deep connection between those people in the unit, the patients', the loved ones, the nurses and the doctors which you will never understand unless you've been there.  Whilst my mum was having treatment #5 at the unit, I was reading the same notices on the wall, when I spotted a new notice, describing the raffle they were going to hold to raise funds,  I knew I wanted to help in anyway I could.  I spoke to the staff who told me that they were very short of prizes as they had received very few donations this year.  So I was able to find some gift sets and with a few further contributions from my sisters. we had quite the stash to donate and to make the raffle a success.

Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
T – Toilet habit changes
E – Energy levels dropping
A – Abdominal pain/ swelling
L – Loss of appetite

Mx

Comments

Popular Posts