Healthy meals on wheels. CCGG2017 #12

Blogmas on the CancerCarerChats blog is a daily charitable Christmas gift guide with a twist - each post will feature an idea for a charitable act.  Christmas is a time for giving whether it be for someone you know or for a stranger.  Take the time at this time of the year to do a good deed, just one small act can help someone who is less fortunate than you are.  
As a reminder, my mum was diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer in March 2017 when I started this blog to raise awareness of the importance of early detection of ovarian cancer and my life as a carer.  I care for my mum, trying to ease some of the load on her and walk by her side on this journey.  It’s just as hard to watch someone you love go through pain, than to experience it yourself.
*****************************************************************

When my mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she started an intensive treatment of chemotherapy and surgery which though has saved her life, has been gruelling on her body.  The doctor's and nurses have crafted a treatment plan which makes her life as comfortable as possible but we're a team and our input has been to ensure that she is strong both physically and mentally to undertake all the medication that is offered to her.  As a carer, one of my primary responsibilities is to ensure my mum's diet is healthy and nutritious.  I truly believe our bodies respond to that which is put in so I like to use fresh vegetables in my cooking whenever possible.  But I also work part time in a demanding job and to be honest, am not the best cook.  I especially find it difficult to craft recipes in my brain which my mum will enjoy and are healthy and nutritious.  As such, this year I've asked for a subscription to a fresh food delivery service for a few months for Christmas.  This is the ideal Christmas present for busy carers or the elderly that find it difficult to head down to the supermarket.  Imagine!  What a wonderful and thoughtful gift to give someone that is much more practical than the normal bath gift set or latest novel.  Here is the type of practical Christmas present that your elderly father or mother-in-law would love to receive.  A box of ingredients for a specific meal is delivered to your door and the meals and frequency can be tailored based on needs.  So for a busy carer, perhaps the subscription can be for twice a week on the days that they are working so that they can have a day off from thinking about what to make for dinner.  It can also be a fun activity to give them something to look forward to.  If your elderly parent has particular dietary restrictions, then this can also be accommodated within the subscription.  I think this is a great idea and as a busy carer, I think it's something which will make my life a lot easier and re-inject some fun back into cooking again.


Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
T – Toilet habit changes
E – Energy levels dropping
A – Abdominal pain/ swelling
L – Loss of appetite

Mx

Comments

Popular Posts